Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new compressor with older freon?

Options
Our Lennox central air unit died (needs a new compressor). The repairman came and we need a whole new unit as the older freon is ozone depleting. Are there still parts available that are compatible with the older freon? Aren't they able to capture the freon from the unit and just reinstal it in the new compressor so we don't have to spend $4000? We did not have a freon leak, so I assum it is still fine.

Thanks.

Dave

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Dave

YES ,compressors are available for the old r22 unit.Either O.E.M. or by  compressor mfrg's that make the comp for many of the A.C. mfrg's anyway.So if a Copeland Compressor was installed in place of the OEM  comp then some repiping ,remounting,rewiring  will be necessary.Why did the dead comp die?What is the phyical condition of the evap&cond units? Any extra work /repairs would not be included in the price of "change the compressor" ,I would think ! So check out the entire system and then decide . A new hi SEER  system saves $$$$ .
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    Options
    He said

the compressor shorted out. It is only about 9 yes old.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Hay Dave.

Me,Myself & I ,we, all agree that compressors should last 15-35 years ,so, what exactly did the under aged comp die  from? Some causes are  obvious, some have to be observed while the new comp is up and running then adressed.
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Not sure.

The wife was there today and said that he said we had a short that somehow affected the compressor, wrecking it.
This discussion has been closed.