Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Daikin altherma air to water or gshp

Options
What ye all think, I saw the altherma the other day and talked to some guys who have installed a few. They think highly of them. Any opinions appreciated. Tim

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    depends.

how much is the dirt work on the gshp?

how big is the heat load... one, or two, or more althermas?

what's your design temp?

for us... ground work prohibitive, 35k load, doing heating and cooling, -4 deg design temp, the altherma was a good choice.

larger loads, pump and dump, colder areas, might want to look at GSHP.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE: design temps etc

24 here in seattle, appx 8 tons needed on job. The well drillers who also set the pump station and run out piping run appx 6-8k per hole. Maybe 8 holes.  It would take 2 Daikins to do job. Thanks for reply, Tim
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    sounds like

the daikin would come in about half price then.

average COP of 3 they say, once you factor in the electric backup usage. Have to compare that to a 4+ you might get with geo I suppose. I'm not yet sold on the average COP of 3 claim when the heat pump is only capable of half output in very cold weather basically... but that is what they say.

With dirt work in the comparison though it's pretty attractive. Heck, you could get 3 althermas and still be significantly cheaper it sounds like?
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Jim_161
    Jim_161 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Altherma great unit with competitors

Hello the Altherma is a great unit but there are options in the air to water field for less dollars.. www.aermec.us
This discussion has been closed.