Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking pressure value

Options
hi, i noticed that this value has been leaking for sometime. i turned the knob on top and it stops, but water comes out the overflow pile to the floor.should i replace both of the values while i'm at it. also what should the know on the top be set at? thanks for the help. bob

Comments

• STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Leaking valve

The leaking valve with the cap is an float operated automatic air vent. It is leaking because there is dirt or debris blocking the schrader valve on top partially open. It should be replaced. When it is replaced, keep the cap on the new valve open 2-3 turns to allow the air to escape.

The water leaking from the reief valve is due to the water pressure in the system being over 30PSI. This is most likely due to the expansion tank being waterlogged.

I would replace the expansion tank and charge the new one at 12 PSI, if that is the normal setting for your system. I would also replace the 30PSI relief valve because there might be dirt in the seat due to the water flowing out of it.

Check the cold fill pressure of the system an be sure it is at 12 PSI. Regulate the pressure regulaing valve to 12PSI. If it can't be regulated replace it as well.

Because you are dealing with essential safety devices, I would recommend you have a qualified  contractor rectify this sytem  
  • george_42
    george_42 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    leaking valve

Had a pressure relief valve leaking recently and turned out to be a leak in the domestic coil putting high pressure in the boiler. just something to check if expansion tank and pressure relief valve are ok
  • eastvillage
    eastvillage Member Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks

thanks for the help. i'll have them replace.
This discussion has been closed.