Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solid Fuel Boiler & Radiant Floor Heat Question

Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
I have a solid fuel boiler and have a question. Because I only need 130F water going out to my manifolds and I want to run the boiler at about 160-170F. What would the suggested idea be to bring the water temp down . I understand the idea of a 3 way mixing valve but not sure that this would do the job.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Does the manufacturer supply diagrams?

Typically, they would. A three-way mixing valve would absolutely do the job as far as supplying the correct temperature for your radiant emitters, but there are a few other things you may have to worry about: ensuring adequate flow through the boiler to prevent overheating, boiler bypass to prevent condensing, and adequate mass to absorb the output of the boiler so that you can burn it hot and clean and then not burn for awhile. These typically mean some sort of buffer/thermal storage. I'm not sure that a low-mass emitter such as a plate and tube radiant floor (if I recall your circumstances correctly) is the best match for a solid fuel boiler - a high-mass system would naturally provide some buffering - but I'll let the pros chime in.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited August 2010
    Double post.

This discussion has been closed.