Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manifold Tee question

Options
I'm retrofitting a hydronic install (staple-up).

I've got a couple of rooms where I need 2 or 3 loops.

I.e- One of my bedrooms needs 386ft of 1/2" piping to make the loop. So this would mean 2 loops. My calculation program shows 0.44usgpm flow, with a  0.61 ft head.

If the distance to the mechanical room is 30ft, could I run a 1/2" pex to the room in question, then Tee off with the two 1/2" tubing loops. Return with a similar Tee and then back to the boiler. The Tee's would in essence be a distribution manifold. Does it make a difference if I branch off on one loop and do the other one with the 'running' leg, or would I have to feed in at the bottom of the Tee and branch off to both sides with the runs?

The two runs would be exactly the same length (152ft), within a couple of inches. This would mean that I could 'save' on another set of valves etc on the main manifold in the boiler room.

To me, this would mean that the friction losses in both loops are identical, therefore giving me the same flow (hence heat output) in each loop.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    never do this

impossible to isolate loops for service or what have you.

home run back to the mech room, or station a remote manifold.

have you run the head loss for a 368 ft loop? might be just fine with one loop. maybe not. math is good :D
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • BCMatt
    BCMatt Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks Rob.

Looks like I'll run them back to the mech room.
This discussion has been closed.