Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron Radiators - Blasting & Painting

Options
JimmyR
JimmyR Member Posts: 5
I've got a single-pipe steam system in my 1925 vintage home. Over the years, the cast iron radiators have seen a lot of paint, dust, more paint and dirt.

I have a quote from a guy to media blast each radiator, powder coat it in the color of my choice, with pick up and delivery for about $300 per piece. Is this a good price?

Some of these radiators are monsters and I can't figure out how they will get them out of the house without injury. I suppose I could rent/buy the blasting gear, but it makes a huge mess. The painting is equally messy, not to mention horribly time consuming. I think I justified it to myself just then!

Thanks!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    They will......

certainly look very nice when done! Not supposed to talk pricing but sounds like a deal to me...kpc
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    blast and paint

Run with that, that is usually close to what just the blast and paint runs for rads for us, not including pick up and delivery. Good luck
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Just make it clear

If they break them they buy them. People familiar with this work will not be scare off, those just doing it as a hobby will be. I had a job last year where one radiator was dropped and broken by the painting contractor doing the work and another was sand blasted to the point it leaked. It is cheaper to have a competent person do it for a higher price once than to pay that person to fix another persons mistake later.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.