Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old pneumatic radiator valve

Options
Keyland
Keyland Member Posts: 1
We are working on a job installing 39 electronic control valves for cast iron radiation. We want to abandon the old pneumatic valves in place after removing their guts and need to cap off where the actuator stem goes into the valve body. Almost looks like a thermostatic trap cover would do the trick.

Any ideas for a supplier?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Pictures

A picture or two might be helpful.........
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    edited August 2010
    Options
    abandoning pneumatic valves in place?

If there are new control valves going in, are they in different locations than the old pneumatic valves?  Why aren't the old valves be removed and replaced with the new ones?

If the pneumatic valves are being abandoned in place, a move that is sure to cause confusion to future operators of the equipment, why do you have to take the guts of the valve out.  Pneumatic heating valves are almost always set up to fail in the open position.  All you have to do is disconnect and cap the airline.  The operating spring should put the valve into the open position and hold it there. 

As far as the packing nut on a pneumatic valve being interchangeable with a steam trap cap...   I suppose it is a theoretical possibility, but in my experience with Johnson and/or Honeywell controlls, I have never seen a packing nut that could be replaced with a steam trap cap of Hoffman, Dunham Bush, etc.  

I'll be interested to hear the input from the pros on this, too.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.