Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

down Sizing Header

Options
SBboiler
SBboiler Member Posts: 1
I am replacing a steam boiler that used to supply steam for 3 air handling coils and a heat exchanger in a tank for domestic hot water generation it was installed back in the 50's. Now all it supply is one 6' X 8' heat exchanger for an air handler. I have been subcontracted out to install a new 880,000 BTU low nox boiler that has already been purchased by customer. They sized thenew boiler by the original two boilers combined btu output when buying the new one. I have two concerns and was looking for some advice . First I am concerned the burner will short cycle due to be oversized, this I can deal with . Secondly the existing steam supply header is 3" but that was for two boiler could I run it in 2" since all it supplies is the air handler now.  Or should I just pipe it in 3" as the book says , I am not trying to be cheap  just not wasteful . The supply and return for the air handler are only 2" black  so does that not regulate my supply rate . Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    edited July 2010
    Options
    My 2 cents,,,,

Man,,, that is SO stupid for anyone to size a boiler for a load that is not there!!

Will it short-cycle?,,, you can bet on that!

As for near boiler piping,,, follow to the "letter" what the boiler manufacturer recommends, then get the "hell" out of there!

PS- Make sure(in writing), this sizing was their doing. ;-)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    3" is small for that boiler

4 to 6 sounds more like what is called for. Did they save the receipt? they need to return that beast.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.