Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

emergency furnace shut off switch location

rich67rich67 Member Posts: 21
Currently I have an emergency shut off for my oil burning hot water boiler located at the top of my stairs leading to the basement. I have constructed a new stairway in a different part of the house and don't want the switch there anymore.

Does anyone know where this switch has to be located? What is electrical / fire code for this?

Thanks

Comments

• toilburntoilburn Member Posts: 44
    e-switch

In Massachusetts the e-switch must be in the living areaso it can be used without opening a door to the area the boiler is in.
  • Jim HankinsonJim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Switch location

The location of the switch is generally at the top of the stairs. Which side of the door depends on state or local codes. I have no stairs, one level dwelling, so my switch is in a closet that's the opposite side of the boiler room.
  • billtwocasebilltwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    switch location

Definitely not where you can come in contact with the unit to turn it off. They can be in kitchens, hallways, or by the stair door , if you have one, and not on the cellar side of the wall
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!