Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low Sulfur Heating Fuel

Options
Tony Massi
Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
I was reading in the news paper today that New Yorks Governor signed into law a bill that would require the use of low sulfur heating oil by July 1, 2012.

What does this mean to the oil heating  industry?  I really don't know much about low sulfur fuel.  Does the heating equipment have replaced? 

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Re: Low Sulfur Heating Fuel

I just spent the day at Brook Haven National Lab (BNL) and this was among our topic of discussions.

1st this will have no adverse effects on the current heating equipment. in fact it should be a plus for those systems.   2nd There are a number of companies that have already been using low sulfur fuel for past several years and they have reported that as a result service calls were reduced and annual maintenance did not take as long to perform as flue passages were found to have less soot or debris in them.

And finally, this may also open the door for the successful use of oil heating condensing boilers. Currently with the higher sulfur, oil heating condensing boilers can prove to be problematic.  

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    This explains

why I am seeing the Casco Bay boiler being advertised more.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Tony Massi
    Options
    Viscosity & Flash Point

Will the low sulfur fuel viscosity & flash point change.  Also will we have to change to Bio Fuel Gaskets on all filters and will it effect pump seals.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Re: Low Sulfur Heating Fuel

Seals and gaskets should not have any adverse effect from the low sulfur and should not require any special type gasket. With any introduction of bio-fuel it has been suggested that it could effect the pump seal however this is still being tested at BNL and currently Roger McDonald’s feelings are that if it did it would not be an appreciable amount.

As for the flash point and viscosity I apologize I don’t have those numbers.

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    I was at the BNL meeting also

Real informative day spent at the lab !

From what I remember , ULS drops the particulate emissions of oil on par with natural gas .

There goes the slogan " go gas , go green "   :)
  • Tony Massi
    Options
    BNL

If I would have known I would have gone to BNL too.  I only live 15 mins from there. I interested in the low sulfur fuel and what benefits it has to keep customers from switching.
  • toilburn
    toilburn Member Posts: 44
    Options
    biofuel

biofuel will effect gaskets andeals. Oil filters are now coming with a warning not to use them with bio blends. Also it acts as a detergent. If you are not currntly trating your fuel with an additive you will have problems wth sludge clogging filters when boi is used.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited August 2010
    Options

This discussion has been closed.