Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Doing Nothing

Options
I am working on a Rheem Mod# RACC-030JAS AC unit.  The customer called us on monday saying the AC is not working.  I go out to the customers home and find the blower motor in the furnnice is running for about a minute then stops and humms.  Being that this is most likley the original motor.  I replaced it.  Turn the system on and the outdoor unit is not running.  The fan and the compressor are not running.  The contactor is closing so the low voltage side is working.  I test for voltage and I get 120V AC on each side of the 240 line.  There are only five parts to this mess.  I tested the caps and they all test good.  I have ohmed out the compressor and the fan both good.  the only thing that I am seeing that mistifys me is when I jump T3 to ground the compressor trys to start and the fan turns verry slow.  I have a wire diagram sorry its on paint and I did it myself. But you will get the pitcure.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

Sounds like you only have on leg of power outside. You can't test each to ground, because if you are missing one side of power the other side will flow through the windings and make it look like there's power on the other leg. You have to check for 220V between the two terminals coming into and going out of the contactor. You either have a contactor that is only letting one leg through, or a disconnect or breaker only letting one leg through.
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Doing nothing

Thanks I Will try that.  I have asked about six different people about this problem and you are the first to say that.  Don't know why I did not think of that to begin with.  But you live and learn. 
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks.

Thank you for your help.  That did fix the problem.  there was a secondary fuse box that had a blown fuse.  I replaced the fuse and bingo.  the unit ran.
This discussion has been closed.