Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Goodman Mini-Splits,,

Options
I have 3 Goodman WMC-12 mini splits, 2 in my house, 1 in my shop. They were installed 10 yrs. ago and still work great, no problems.

Aside from regular washing the slide-out original filters no serious "dismantle type" maintenance has been done on these indoor units. When I look inside with a flashlight, I can see the long "squirrel-cage" fans are getting dusty.

I was wondering (after A/C season), should I dismantle the unit, remove/clean the fans & perhaps oil the motor?

The O/I manual says nothing about this, and shows no break-down pics of the inside so I`ll be "winging-it".

Again, no problems with the units,, just thinking a little "preventative" maintenance.

Opinions?

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    maintenance is always a good idea

When the fan blades load up you get decreased efficiency. Goodman should have a disassembly procedure for this. Once you get the blades cleaned off I think you will see a substantial gain. I have a heating unit that had just a bit of "roughness" on the leading edge of the fan. The blades did not appear to be really dirty. As it turned out the roughness was enough to really impact the air flow. Upon cleaning the heating output of the unit increased substantially. High efficiency fans seem to load up on that front edge rather than filling the whole curve of the vane with debris.
  • Well,

after an email to Goodman they told me my request for info would be handled by another department,, no response yet so I "winged-it".

As far as I can tell it is a well made unit, ball bearings in the motor etc., but quite "tedious" to dismantle.

The long "squirrel-cage" fan was really dusty, but once I got-it out, quite easy to clean.

The evaporator required no cleaning(it looked new) as I always serviced the factory pre-filters. The "blower wheel & drip trough" were my biggest concern,,, I also cleaned the drip line. Dismantle wiring is also a brute, almost like reading a fan-belt sticker on a car, but I made diagrams first so I could route everything back.

Thank You for your response Jack, this cleaning seemed to make a HUGE difference!

2 more to go!

A little disappointed though in the help I was promised from Goodman. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.