Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Damp Tank...

Options
MAKev
MAKev Member Posts: 6
Hi all! First post here and first experience with a home heated by oil (I'm in western MA). Heres my problem: Oil tank is in the garage and with the high humidity it is dripping water like crazy. It is only a 1/4 full so I can't imagine how wet it would be if I filled it up. I know I can run a dehumidifier, but with the garage door being opened a lot, it seems like it will have to run hard and all summer to stay ahead of the moisture. Any tips or tricks to deal with this? Thanks!

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    damp tank

In conditions like that, best to keep it full, and have an additive that also serves as a water absorbent put in when it's filled
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Are you sure it is water?

Just making sure. a piece of white paper will be tinted pink if it is not water leaking out.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Good point Charlie

Is there a very wide swing in temperature in your garage from night to day ? I think it would have to be - for water to condense on the outside of the tank .
  • MAKev
    MAKev Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks...

Hi all,

Thanks for your input - many good ideas!  Putting in an additive is a darn good idea.  Used to live in AK and people would park in the garage in winter; ice cold gas + heated garage = a whole lot of condensation in the fuel tank. Reverse conditions but same results. It is water on the tank, I did the paper check.  It also doesn't happen on drier/lower humidity days.  The garage is basement level, below ground level and was pretty cool as summer started, as was the oil. The door gets used quite a bit so quite a bit of hot air gets in.  The oil has slowly warmed up and the dripping has slowly decreased. I'm thinking about putting a heater in the garage, so this hopefully won't happen next summer.  Had to put a dehumidifier in the garage to keep the moisture down for the last two weeks or so.  The moisture was really starting to cause some mold problems.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    condensation

How about an oil tank heater and/or some tight fittihg insulation?The oil and the tank have to be colder than the warm humid air for condensation to occur.
This discussion has been closed.