Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

AC line not run in copper ?

Ron Jr._3Ron Jr._3 Posts: 562Member
Did an AC changeout today . The small line was standard copper . But this was the larger pipe  ..........

I don't do AC much but I never saw stuff like this used . Reminds me of flexible gas pipe , but with a heavier outer coating . It also had standard insulation covering it .

Was this common at one time ? Would this stuff handle the higer pressures of today's systems ?

Comments

• TechmanTechman Posts: 2,144Member
    OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!! Haven't seen flex refrigeration tubing in 25-30 years .It was the "lineset "of it's day 40-45 years ago . It was common on G.E. systems and a couplle of others. I would lean towards NO  for the newer r410a higher pressure systems . Brings back some good memories .
  • JStarJStar Posts: 2,668Member
    Yes, old.

I've cut out a lot of that stuff. It's still lurking around in older systems. I wish they made it for 410A.
  • Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    flex lineset.

They were known to leak after about 5 years.
  • Ron Jr._3Ron Jr._3 Posts: 562Member
    What part of the line set would fail ?

We cut it into a few pieces and the inside looked pristine . I'll take a closeup pic of a shorty Monday .

Was the weak link the connections at the ends ? How were they connected ?
  • Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    leak

I don't know what part leaked but if you cut into the outer insulation and put the sniffer in the hole it would go off.

I replaced a LOT of these flex line sets in my day.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!