Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Service vans

Options
Dave_95
Dave_95 Member Posts: 2
I need to replace 2 of our service vans. What do you guys like and why? Mileage, convenience and durability are the issues.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I like my Tacoma for light service

I have a cap with opening sides and if I plan well it does the job great 4 out of 6 days. I am looking to add a 14' cab over truck with a basic box for the larger work and that which is farther from the shop so I can have more parts on hand, I had a 580 Weil McLain in my Tacoma with all the trim and it drove like I had an empty bed. I would prefer if it were diesel but at 20 MPG I can not complain. It is also four wheel drive which is nice for getting through some of the spots I need to. I prefer a space between me and my tools. I do not like vans or step vans because I do not like breathing in all the fumes from my tools and the chemicals we use.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    service vans

Everybody has a favorite but after managing 4 different fleets and having my own business with service vans, I'll take a Ford E-250/350 any day of the week. Tough trucks and the fewest of the service issues.....as long as proper and scheduled maintenance is used. Next would be GMC. As for Chevy and Dodge, wouldn't run one if they gave it to me. Way too many issues with these units. This is not a personnal issue, just the facts from many years managing and driving them.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE: service van selection

I have 4 Sprinter 144" vans, 3 for e250 1 Chevy ton box and 1 Chevy 3/4 ton van.  I would take the Sprinters any day. I get appx 75% better fuel mileage. Makes my footprint that much smaller and my wallet that much bigger albeit the substantial higer cost. I figure it is appx 6 yr payback for the difference in cost of van. just my observation. Tim
This discussion has been closed.