Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Heat Pump problem

I have a customer who changed their air handler about 8 years ago. They got a nice variable speed model from Bryant. Last FaLL they wanted to upgrade the outside unit. Problem was the new heat pump was 410a refrigerant and the Air handler was R-22. I thought I was being smart and changed the expansion valve to a 410a x valve. The system worked great all heating system but this cooling system It began to have trouble. The new expansion valve started shutting down and causing low suction pressure. I changed it with a new one. In a weeks time it happened again. I am now changing out the air handler to make it a matching set but don't know why the X valves kept going bad. Any ideas?

Comments

• JStarJStar Member Posts: 2,752

Did you completely clean and flush out the coil and lineset?
  • TechmanTechman Member Posts: 2,144
    TXV

Hi WW, how about the old r22 indoor coil was physically smaller than its newer nowaday r410a indoor coil.The older units ran and were designed around a different Delta T than todays higher SEER units . The r410a TXV still works off of temp[superheat] so w/ a smaller coil the new TXV would feed less freon,w/ lower suction pressurers,with possibly under sized return grill/ducts.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!