Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Well I"ll be

darned.Just as I have always suspected,the micron reading at the vac pump is not the same as the micron reading at the evap coil.We hooked up 2 of the same  micron gauges, 1 at the vac pump & 1 at the TXV external equializer connection.Line size is 3/8 & 3/4" ,30' long.After 15-20min of  startup of vac pump,there was 750 microns at the pump and 6500 @ the evap coil.After another 10-15 min the readings were 175-200 pump & 850-900 @ the evap.We broke the vac w/ nitroge ,reversed the micron gauges and restarted the vac.4-5 min we had 125 @ the pump & 350 @ the evap coil.Conclusion, well I'll be darned!

Comments

• JStarJStar Member Posts: 2,752

Are you reading it with the pump still running? I always isolate and shut down the pump when I'm testing with a micron gauge, or else you'll get the exact (false) results that you've experienced.
  • TechmanTechman Member Posts: 2,144
    evac

Morning to u JStar, that part of the evacuation was with the vacpump still running.As you stated a normal shut down and wait and hold period followed to check the microns.Being that this test was on a totally new system,everything was clean and dry and nitrogen purged during brazing the 4 joints,I'm very courious to see the differance between the 2 micron readings on a known,or suspected,contaminated system,on a system that does not have a schrader acess at the evap coil. We will of course put an acess fitting in.Being the so many systems donot have a schrader at the evap coil,that means that all of the micron tests are done at tha vac pump or vac hoses.I've seen more than a few mechanics get 500 or 350 microns at the pump and off they go, charging the system.I've done that myself ,in the past,that is
  • JStarJStar Member Posts: 2,752
    I think...

...the evaporator reading is the true reading, and the condenser gauge is reading the power of the pump's vacuum ability. If you put a valved hose on the pump side of the micron gauge, you should see the same reading at both locations.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!