Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"wild card" system

Options
Jon Poland
Jon Poland Member Posts: 9
I am a heating contractor bidding a job through an architect. The system to be bid is a radiant under fit with plates and cast iron baseboard. It's an oil fired system with no controls specified. The question I have is this. He wants a four zone system. Zone 1- 1st floor and master bedroom, Zone 2- bedroom 2, Zone 3 all bathrooms on the "wild card" system. I have asked the architect what the "wild card" system is, with no good answers. He told me that it was something the home owner specified. Any Ideas?  I appreciate the help.

Jon Poland

Jon G. Poland Plumbing and Heating

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Sounds like a GAMBLE to me....

I am BETTING that what he meant to say was wild loop instead of wild card. THis means there is no control or thermostat to that zone, and it runs IF any of the other zones are running. Risky business at best if you are guaranteeing their comfort.

If in fact this is his wish, I would recommend that you install a non electric TRV on the wild zone to at least limit the upper end of things.

I would contact the homeowner prior to releasing your bid for confirmation.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.