Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Tool For Oventrop

ChasMan
ChasMan Member Posts: 462
I have some 1/2" chrome Oventrop Valves to install and they have two little bumps on the inside of the nipples. What would be the best tool for tightening these things? Do they make a special wrench? I can do it with a tapered square rod or a tapered handled wrench but I was wondering if they made a special wrench.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Google Radiator Spud Wrench

Here is what it looks like.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    radiator wrench

like this also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Thanks!

I had seen that tool, as well as "spud nipples" and thought that might be the thing but these oventrop nipples, well, they are very well cast and I thought they might have some proprietary wrench. I have only worked on Fintube before, this is my first radiator. :-) And its not even a radiator its a piece of Runtal baseboard.

Thanks! I will order that little guy.
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    ^^ I've got one of those

I love it, It's nice & compact but I wish they made another bigger size for larger valves.
  • Glen Aspen_2
    Glen Aspen_2 Member Posts: 53
    thanks to one of my best clients -

that liked to help and do things himself (honestly - he was good at it!) we used a torx drive socket for 3/8 square drive. superbly elegant!
  • timo888
    timo888 Member Posts: 137
    where to buy ... been looking and looking and looking

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm also trying to connect a couple of valves to a Runtal, and would like to get one of these smaller tools but I cannot find them. Do they have a special name? Radiator spud wrench is finding plenty of the larger kind used with a pipe wrench, but not this compact version.
  • alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Finding Radiator Spud Wrench

You can find them on the Home Depot website.

Jerry
This discussion has been closed.