Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Airtrol and Expansion Tank Maintenance

splats
splats Member Posts: 1
What should I be doing maintenance wise with an old steel expansion tank with a B&G Airtrol fitting on the bottom of it and a boiler drain also on the bottom of it. I have not tried opening the drain yet, but the tank sounds empty when tapping on it.

I am going to be draining the system down to do work on the wet side. Should I have the shut off valve to the expansion tank in open or closed position when refilling and then open it when the system is pressurised? Do I need to be concerned with making any adjustments to the airtrol fitting?

Any input on proper procedure will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• If you are going to drain

the system for repairs, may as well drain the tank too. So leave all the valves open.

In my 30+ years I have NEVER been able to tell how full a tank-is by tapping on it.

Drain-it, and you`ll know,,, those B&G Airtrol fittings are great though. no adjustment necessary, except for the initial fill.

BTW- If you`re going to do that I would also run some Rhomar system cleaner through everything too,, can`t hurt. :-)
  • mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    tap tap

I can tap out a standard expansion tank to make sure the bladder is not busted or out of air but those old ones are much harder to tap out. 
    Too bad common sense isn't very common.
This discussion has been closed.