Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Condensate hardness question",,,

Options
Just curious, likely overly stupid,,,,, but does condensate "hardness" have any issue in a condensing boiler to eventually block passageways? 

Comments

• Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "hardness?"

not sure if that is precisely the term but - I think I get your drift. In my years in service - deposits in heat exchangers varied; boilers installed in agricultural areas were the worst - especially those areas that were predominantly crop based operations. Burners set upon the rich side also made for interesting dusting and cleaning. Other problem areas were mines and small industrial installs - even a landscaping outfit made me scratch my head until I realized - lime stone + heat = caustic soda. Quality of gas makes a difference to the condensate - gas from the north slope (Inuvik and tuk) has a reddish hue to the condensate while gas from Alberta is a light yellow - that would indicate slightly different "bonus" gases and there fore different particulates along for the ride. So like so many responses here - "it depends" seems to work. but look at combustion air quality first and then burner set up to reduce deposits.
This discussion has been closed.