Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water radiant floor User

Options
I am preparing to install some taco 219 Swetchek valves in a system I built and designed 10 years ago. (I didn't think I needed check valves at the time) I have 3 and have had them sitting for all this time. For the most part, the system works OK without them, but it isn't totally up to my standard.

My questions: Why would I need a thumb-knobbed adjustable check valve? I see  this type is commonly installed in hydronic heating systems.

Why not just a simple non-adjustable check valve without a manual/open option?

What does "open" mean as opposed to "normal"? Is "open" allow flow either way thus negating check valve effect? Explain why a check valve would have an "open" option? Explain "normal". Taco box instruction indicated, "normal" = "automatic". So, why shouldn't this always be the proper position?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    taco 219 Swetchek valves

If I understand the Taco description, the #219 Flow Check valve is not adjustable. The knob on the top can be used to open the valve completely to allow gravity flow in case a circulator fails, allowing some heat to be delivered. Since I am not a professional, I do not know how useful that feature is The normal position is to enable the flow-check operation. The Open position allows flow in either direction. The Flow Check , in normal use, prevents flow not only in the reverse direction, but also gravity flow (within limits) in the forward direction.
This discussion has been closed.