Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Heat Pump Installation

DanB214
DanB214 Member Posts: 1
I had a 2.5 ton 15 SEER split heat pump installed 10 months ago in a 1500 sq. ft. ranch home.  It has caused some problems, the latest is that the inside coil froze up and the outside unit was 2 lbs. short on refrigerant.   The tech came out and said that the return needed to be bigger...when the installation was done (replacing a 20 year old unit), the only return was a 12 x 20 grille at the bottom of the unit, which sits in the hallway behind a louvered door.  The tech recommended putting in a 20x20 return right across the hall from the unit, where there is a closet on the other side of the wall.  Does this make sense?  Also, was the original installation done poorly with such a small return?    It seems to me that 240" sq. is way too small a return grill for a 2.5 ton unit.  Thanks!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Personally.

I'd start to deal with the size of the door louvers as well as the return size. Keep the door open a few days to see if the coil still freezes up.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 935
    and...

find out where the leak is that let those 2 pounds out and make sure it is fixed!
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!