Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump Installation

Options
DanB214
DanB214 Member Posts: 1
I had a 2.5 ton 15 SEER split heat pump installed 10 months ago in a 1500 sq. ft. ranch home.  It has caused some problems, the latest is that the inside coil froze up and the outside unit was 2 lbs. short on refrigerant.   The tech came out and said that the return needed to be bigger...when the installation was done (replacing a 20 year old unit), the only return was a 12 x 20 grille at the bottom of the unit, which sits in the hallway behind a louvered door.  The tech recommended putting in a 20x20 return right across the hall from the unit, where there is a closet on the other side of the wall.  Does this make sense?  Also, was the original installation done poorly with such a small return?    It seems to me that 240" sq. is way too small a return grill for a 2.5 ton unit.  Thanks!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Personally.

I'd start to deal with the size of the door louvers as well as the return size. Keep the door open a few days to see if the coil still freezes up.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    and...

find out where the leak is that let those 2 pounds out and make sure it is fixed!
This discussion has been closed.