Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic radiator valves

Options
Our apartment is in a very old building in the NYC metro area. The building itself has 5 floors, about 60 apartments, and has a centralized hot water heating system. Since we live on the top floor, the apt. tends to overheat in the winter. However, this can usually be addressed by dialing down the radiator valves.

I wanted to replace the existing radiator valves in our apartment with the thermostatic kind, so that we can maintain comfortable temperatures automatically. Before I even try hiring a plumber to do this for me, I had a couple of questions which I hope someone on this forum can help with.

1. Is there any drawback or restriction to "upgrading" to TRVs? Are there certain systems (i.e. gravity or forced) that would not work well with TRVs and vice versa?

2. Would there be a problem if none of the other apartments in the building have TRVs? In other words, would my "upgrading" affect the balance of the entire system in any way?

3. Are there any recommendations as to what brand of valve is better / more appropriate?

4. Do you have any advice / pointers on how to do this the right way? I'm basically looking for advice on what I should ask / request of the plumber doing the work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mark Biro
    Mark Biro Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Whether apt or condo, the bldg mngr must act

I am just a homeowner, who HAS installed TRVs, and HAS followed discussions here (you could try searching the Wall for TRV info), and would like to pay back the help I have gotten.

So, for FWIW, it strikes me that whether you live in an apartment or a condominium (concepts of ownership, and what you MIGHT modify), since 60 units SHARE a heating system, you must, for many practical reasons, have the full cooperation of the building's management.  Just for starts, and simple nuts and bolts: your radiators are pressurized, and if you are able to interpose TRVs, at least your part of the system must first be isolated and drained, or some larger part... and then the same portion purged of air (and refilled with fluid) after; all of which require complete cooperation (initiative) of the system's manager.

Your more specific questions are simpler, and more quickly answered/solved.  But they also look like the cart which should follow the horse of the involvement by the heating system operator.

My $0.02
This discussion has been closed.