Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air conditioning

Options
York hvac, honeywell programmable thermo.   Unit using almost twice normal electricity, inside temp lower than program calls for, humidity higher than thermo shows (& feels it).  What is wrong? 

Comments

• bockchoi26
    bockchoi26 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    SIZE

what do you mean twice the normal electricity, compared to what? please elaborate. high humidity and over-shooting of temp setting sounds to me the unit is probably oversized. Being oversized causes the unit to run shorter run times, preventing unit from pulling the normal moisture out of air. Also being too large can cause space to become overcooled before t-stat can respond. 
  • gbr
    gbr Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Options
    air conditioning

Unit is 3yrs. old.  3 ton York infinity model YZE03611C, serial(1st) WOB7431866, (2nd see below) WOD9739940 . Sized using manual J calculations. Honeywell vision pro thermostat.  Problems almost since install (1st coil replaced 9mos after install, 2nd coil replaced 15mos latter).  This winter unit running hrs. at a time not meeting program (70 day, 68 night).  Before winter was over contractor had replaced (in order of discovery)  30amp circuit breaker that was neither thrown or loose, sensor probe, txv valve, then entire outside unit.  Heat pump still not mtg. program so installer chg. settings on thermostat to make it a little more agressive, if I understood correctly this caused second stage fan to run for a short time before unit shut off.  To me it met unit overshot program by almost 1degree.  Unit still didn't meet program (70 at 6:30), but weather chg. so root of problem was never found. Unit now set to cooling mode.  Today we used twice as many electric hrs. as we ever have since being in this house (6yr history).  Thermostat set to 75.  At 2pm humidity was 46%, air felt moist, and warmer than 75.  Outside temp 80.  Sorry I didn't give you all of the history initially, never thought I could condense it to a single paragraph.  Sorry too for the double posting.    
  • gbr
    gbr Member Posts: 3
    Options
    air conditioning

Unit is 3yrs. old.  3 ton York infinity model YZE03611C, serial(1st) WOB7431866, (2nd see below) WOD9739940 . Sized using manual J calculations. Honeywell vision pro thermostat.  Problems almost since install (1st coil replaced 9mos after install, 2nd coil replaced 15mos latter).  This winter unit running hrs. at a time not meeting program (70 day, 68 night).  Before winter was over contractor had replaced (in order of discovery)  30amp circuit breaker that was neither thrown or loose, sensor probe, txv valve, then entire outside unit.  Heat pump still not mtg. program so installer chg. settings on thermostat to make it a little more agressive, if I understood correctly this caused second stage fan to run for a short time before unit shut off.  To me it met unit overshot program by almost 1degree.  Unit still didn't meet program (70 at 6:30), but weather chg. so root of problem was never found.  Today we used twice as many electric hrs. as we ever have since being in this house (6yr history).  Unit set to 75.  at 2pm humidity 46%, air felt moist, did not feel 75 either.  Outside temp 80.  Sorry I didn't give you all of the history initially, never thought I could condense it to a single paragraph.    
This discussion has been closed.