Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

garber filter gauge reading

Options
Patchogue Phil_2
Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
At what reading on the gauge indicates it is time to change the filter?  Gauge reads from 0 to 30.  Burner is Beckett AFG with 0.85 nozzle,  if that affects the answer.

Comments

• Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    Options
    above 10 inches

with a .85 nozzle you should be good for two years.

firing rate above 1 gallon or a two-pipe system , change it every year.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    It Depends

whether the system is one pipe or two.
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Garber filter

The filter is normally replaced when the running vacuum is 4-5" above clean filter vacuum. Once you reach that point the vacuum increases progressively faster.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.  It is a one pipe system.  Gauge gets up to 15 on a long firing run.  Time for a new one.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    or it could be

time to blow/flush the oil supply line
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Options
    Good reminder

I was thinking that a clog could be a possibility.  After a new filter, if gauge still reads high a blow-out will be done.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Second Filter

You can instal a second vacuum gauge on the Garber filter ... It would save you time in the future ... If the readings between the two are different , the filter is dirty . If readings are the same , supply before the filter shows signs of restriction ...

• Patchogue Phil_2
    Options
    Two?

Where does the extra gauge mount?  Tee'd just before the filter?  The one I have already,  is on top of the outlet side of the filter housing.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    gauge

Is the filter burner mounted, or at the tank? 1 should be enough I think. 
  • OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    Options
    just change it.

Save your money on the fittings and gauges and change it out yearly when the rest of the tune up is complete.

These filters aren't particularly expensive. Why go through all the hassle? Also i disagree with the general assumption of change out times of the filter by nozzle size. Nothing about the type of system was mentioned. Fuel passing through the filter will vary greatly on whether or not it is on a furnace, boiler with tankless, boiler without tankless, oil fired water heater, or any combination of them.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Options
    more info

Filter is mounted right at the burner.

I'm not looking to drag out the replacement time.  Thinking more in line to the gauge rise indicating gunk buildup,  and what reading indicates it is time to change the filter.
  • Big Ed_4
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Garber

Two 1/8" taps on top of filter ...A extra $10 for a second gauge... I am a believer of less touched less problems ...

Wait a second ,I just noticed the second tap is gone off the Garber or where they on he Westwood ?

• Big Ed_4
    Options
    Vacuum

Above 5"........ after 5" the gases pulled out of the oil start to multiply

• Big Ed_4
    Options
    Filter location

Filters really belong near the oil tank .. Oil Burner 101... Tank should be pitched to valve and legs high enough to hard pipe in a filter . To prevent sludge , prolong tank life , protect the whole system , less service and easy maintenance ...

• billtwocase
    Options
    filter location

It might be a System 2000. The Smart filter set up is at the burner, that's why i asked. There should be a General at the tank to keep the line clean, rarely installers do that though.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    You know the saying

The shoemaker's kids have no shoes, mechanics drive the worst cars.

I have a Burnham V-74 in my house. I change the filters & vac the unit when it shuts down. That's usually every 4 - 5 years. That's the only time I touch the filters.

When I open it it has a little soot, but not too bad. I consistently burn between 650 and 700 gallons a year in a 2100 sq ft house, heat and hot water.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Options
    Not a 2000

It's a New Yorker boiler S-118-AP.   Garber filter is at the burner,  between the Firomatic valve and the Beckett.  No filter at the tank located inside the garage.

BTW,  changed the filter.  Found some "snerf grunge" buildup inside the inlet of the filter housing.  Blewout the line back to the tank.  Fired right up in a few seconds of airpurge.  Gauge reads about 2.
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    Always Flush

After you clear an oil line or just change a filter its good practice to let it flow / flush into a slop can until oil is clear before installing the new filter ....

• OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with Big Ed

especially with a garber. Those things filter so well they plug up faster than your standard rf-1 or rf-4.
This discussion has been closed.