Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temperature drop in indirect tanks

Options
TonyS
TonyS Member Posts: 849
Has anyone measured the temp drop on their indirect? I would love to hear some real life data.

Comments

• Fortunat
    Fortunat Member Posts: 103
    Options
    we've tested a couple

We've monitored a handful of tanks over long periods of time and one of the easy things to check is overnight temperature drop.

In our experience,  well insulated european tanks like the Stiebel Eltron SBB drop about .4-.5 degrees F per hour. Average domestically made tanks tend to be more like 1.5 degree per hour due to their lesser insulation.

In both cases, all the plumbing connections to the tank are well insulated and heat trapped to prevent siphoning.

I wrote up the results at some point to explain to people why we choose a particular tank. see attachment.

~Fortunat

www.revisionenergy.com
  • TonyS
    Options
    Are those drops

based on 120 degree water with a 70 ambient or 140 degree water?
  • TonyS
    Options
    Forget that question

I clicked on your website address the first time. Now I read the PDF, that is excellent info on the graphs. That is a significant difference in fuel consumption between the two.
  • TonyS
    Options
    So would it be correct to say

40 x 8.33 =333=500 btuh x 24hr =12000 btus a day x 355 day a year = 4258296.00 btus a year divided by 87400( usable btus in 1 gallon of propane at 95%) =48.72 gallons of propane just for standby? Thats not including the standby loss of the boiler mass.
This discussion has been closed.