Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How is rAy these days?

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I installed a couple when they were '200i' boilers. Very early, I was told we were the first test market. Both early units had electronic issues, and one had real bad problems that put my customers at risk, but I like the design, materials and looks of the boiler. Anyone installing these currently? Issues? I would like to try one again but I really need to know they are reliable first.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    never installed but

Tim i have never installed one but have attended a few semiars and deal with a supply house that did carry them but due to eletronics issue that seemed to not be ironed out they stopped selling them and i have seem a few that where installed and removed and  returned by plumbers because of the electonic promblem ,the supply house still has one installed in there training room and it did have some issues and they replaced the inginition board and it 's been working fine but others that where sold and installed had issues .i personally like  there indoor temp reset concept but dislike the  required shun pump and the weight on the unit itself.They would have been better off pre piping the primary secondary set up instead of the shun pump it would accomplish the same thing and added a hi temp ramp up for domistic water production .I personally feel that for the money ray just does not do it for me  peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options
    rAy

I have 2 installed.  The first one had lots of problems with the ignitor.  The company, Mestec, designed a new ignitor and have had no problems since the new one was installed.

Mestec recalled all the boilers that had not been sold.  They updated the ignitor and changed from rubber gaskets to push nipples between the sections.

I am a cast iron guy and the weight is not an issure for me.  I hope to see these boilers out last the other light weight mod/cons on the market.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Cast Iron

I have to admit that either I am getting old or spoiled ... I like installing 65 pound boilers ...

A bit old school maybe too . My near boiler piping weighs more then the boiler :))

Seen the Ray on display ( kinda rhymes ) sitting in a supply house ... Thought it was odd but cool looking , like a slice of bread standing up on edge ... It was a little pricy , and too new and unfamiliar to me to sell one. I was hoping one day a customer would ask for one ...

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    installs

Both of my installs needed igniters, control heads, and ignition controls, but one needed all new wiring harness. So far so good, and customers are currently happy finally now. This made me look bad for a while but my hope is that they are now reliable and GTG.  Again, I like the design and looks but need reliability for the customer's sake as well as mine..
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • CAPPY
    CAPPY Member Posts: 10
    Options
    rAy boiler

As a contractor for 30 years and Plumbing and Heating inspector I have seen many installations, some good, some not so good. I have waited almost 2 years to change out my oil fired boiler to LP gas condensating. I have all radiant embedded with a design temp of average 116 degrees. Each installer that I have spoken with in my many miles inspecting around the state has their own preferences. I was originally sold on the rAy boiler. I liked the cast iron feature, the looks and the indoor reset. But with the problems reported I waited. I looked at Viessman, too many bells and whistles and expensive. Baxi was another choice. Triangle Tube was impressive in live fire applications. I have done hours and hours of research on this issue and I have decided (finally) to go to the revamped rAy. I like everything about it.Looked at an installed one a year ago, pan leaked, Mestek sent new boiler plus $600 labor for the change out. Customer is very happy. I like the idea that tech service is easy to get in touch with and located in MA. The dry contact alarm terminals were a must for me as I want to know instantly if the boiler locks out, not when the low temp alarm is activated. Baxi does not have one,you have to order a module separate from Triangle Tube, scares me. You have to go all the way to the top of the line Viessman for this feature. I have ordered my rAy. I will use zone valves and the indoor reset feature. I just have to size the circulator, and that seems to be an issue. Everyone has their own ideas. With what I have seen in the field, it is ALL about the installation and following the manufacturers instructions, including all gauges. I hope I have made a intelligent decision, I have certainly spent enough time on the subject. If any of you have ideas on the circulator,  I would appreciate some help.
  • CAPPY
    CAPPY Member Posts: 10
    Options
    rAy Boiler installed and no problems!

This is a follow up to my original post. I have now had the rAy boiler installed for 3 months with no problems except for a very minor software glitch. The software was flashed and the pump option was now available in the menu. This boiler is the way to go. Proven cast iron reliability will outlast the mod-cons on the market. No worries about problem water. I like the looks, the cast iron and the ease of set up plus they are made right here in the USA. Easy tech support should you need it. I have mine set up do do 7 zones of radiant plus one indirect DHW. I used zone valves with the Grundfos Alpha pump. during a small cold snap, the boiler was only using about 30% of capicity which is seen easily on the screen. Set up was a piece of cake. I have been in this business for30 years and these instructions for installation are the best I have ever seen by far. Simple, to the point and great piping diagrams to follow. I set mine up on 4 inch blocks for ease of the condensate removal plus to keep it off the floor. don't skimp out on the feed and return thermometers, they are a big help to determine your Delta T. This unit is quiet. I removed my oil fired boiler and put this in place and I am glad I did. I will post again when the colder weather comes to NH. Good luck, Mike
  • Plumbertim
    Plumbertim Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Ray boiler

I am rather new to the boiler world and thought I would install a ray boiler with currently two zones for now and a dhw on a primary secondary piping system. I have had two electricians try to wire this correctly and has not worked. With you vast knowledge and experience, would you be able to assist me in the electrical part? Thank you.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Have you...

called Mestek in W. Mass? They are pretty nice there.

Mestek, Inc

260 North Elm Street

Westfield, MA 01085

Tel 1: 413-568-9571

Web: [u][color=#0066cc]www.mestek.com[/color][/u]
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Ray boiler

Is there a manufacturers website? I cant seem to find anything under Mestek or any of their subsidiaries.

Rob
  • Plumbertim
    Plumbertim Member Posts: 3
    Options
    ray boiler

Yes, I did contact the technician. He finally called back after a few days. He states he the technician for 10 different boilers. Any way, he told me the best route to take, I relayed that to the electrician and here I sit today stating I still need help. For some reason, someone is not understanding something or I am missing something altogether. I could send some pictures and get some answers maybe. Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.