Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NABCEP certification...

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Anyone got their NABCEP certification for solar thermal yet?

Am putting some courses together for the local SEIA to keep their students updated.

What did you think about the course and testing?

TIA

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I feel

the thermal test could use some revising. Too many questions with multiple correct answers and you are left to determine which the author had in mind the day they developed the test!

Memorizing formulas for tank capacity, panel spacing math, step ladder capacity, fire extinguishers types, REALLY! That information can be placed on your phone, computer, or an app.

No practical testing. A person, someone good at test taking could pass that test without ever having installed a thermal system or had a tool in hand.

Lot of pool sizing questions, that should be a separate test, or add on, I feel.

How many NABCEP thermal installers have been certified or listed on the website recently?

The person most responsible for the subject matter in that test agreed it needs some upgrading.

I see some of the States are building their own certification test, finding NABCEP thermal to slow and cumbersome.

I'm 0 for 2 on the test, maybe my opinion is jaded.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH) Member Posts: 281
    Options
    HR & ME

Not jaded, just practical. I interviewed the folks manning the NABCEP booth during Solar Power International. They took entirely too much pleasure in the fact that they have flunked so many who have taken the tests for thermal & PV. Big turn-off for me & I asked them to explain why anyone in this day & age should be required to memorize formulas when it seems obvious it's more important they know where to look for the answers instead of memorizing.

Also asked them how in the world they expected to keep up with the demands for trained/certified technicians given the rapid growth in the solar industry. Didn't care. That's strike two in my ballpark.

Knowing it needs some real changes and not making that happen? Foul ball.  

In my home state, NABCEP is just one of several ways to get listed by DEP as an authorized installer/designer. We're listed for both thermal & PV. Not necessary to shell out the bucks and jump through the hoop? Strike three.

If you're 0 for 2, then it's definately screwed up. Why don't we design our own test and park it under the RPA training umbrella?  
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    SME

I believe Tom Lane was the "subject matter expert" for much of that test. I like Tom, and respect his knowledge. I sat next to him at a recent NABCEP gripe session. He agreed that the test need some updating and some tweaks.

It's an expensive test to keep taking over, and the twice a year schedule makes it more frustrating.

Between this and the year it takes to get equipment certified by the SRCC, you wonder how solar thermal is expected to become mainstream.

Time to start writing elected officials, as some of our tax dollars go to these groups.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.