Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Revolution 130 CI Boiler vs Triangle Tube Solo110

Options
Ray_M
Ray_M Member Posts: 1
I want to replace my 30 yr old CI Boiler that supplies baseboard hot water (with ethylene glycol) heating in my residential home. The plumber gave me 2 options:

Burnham CI Revolution 88%effic Boiler, 130/114 out with extra zone to Hot Water heater or

Triangle Tube Solo110/101 out condensing stainless steel boiler at 95% effic and integrated Hot water system. It cannot use ethylene glycol freeze protection.

I am concerned about boiler life, annual maintenance costs, operating costs and system freeze-up in the event of boiler failure while on vacation. Please advise and help me with decision.

Comments

• plumber4
    plumber4 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    CI vs Condensing

I also am looking into these factors. I have to install new baseboard so I decided on the TT 110 in order to benefit from the condensing effect and high efficiency. In your case the main consideration would be the existing baseboard and at what temperature you could run your supply and return at. from what I understand in order to reap the bennefits of the condensing function your return temperature would have to be 120 - 130 degrees at the highest. Therefore with a 20 or 30 degree delta tee your output would have to be 140-160 degrees at the lowest. If your baseboard output at these temperatures would satisfy your heatloss than, in my opinion I would go with the Traingle Tube. If you have to keep the boiler temperature higher than listed above you will not get the high efficiency and would be a waste of money which you would be better to go with the cast iron sectional. As for the glycol section 9 page 44 of the TT IOM states that you can use glycol in the unit and to follow mnufacture recommendations for mix and duration. You also want to verify with the glycol manufacture the loss of btu/hr with the glycol vs water. In addition I would also look into the double wall heat exchangers if you intend to use the glycol to heat your domestic water. I know the TT has a built in circulator function that will circulate your water if the temp goes below 46 degrees to prevent freezing. Of course this does not help if you lose power.
This discussion has been closed.