Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe capacity

Options
Servicewiz_3
Servicewiz_3 Member Posts: 56
Does anyone have the formula for increasing pipe size by double will increase capacity by 4?

Comments

• STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    How to find the area of a circle (PIPE)

The formula that I have always used to find the area of a circle or a pipe is:

"Diameter squared X .7854"

based on this formula you come VERY close to quadrupling the area when the pipe size is doubled
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Pipe sizing

B & G has a convenient circular "System Syzer" calculator. Besides pipe sizing it will give you the gpm for a specified Delta T and BTU. As for doubling the pipe size and 4X the capacity, it don'ty work that way!

IE:

1 inch copper with 2 Ft loss per 100ft: 5 gpm, 2 inch is 30 and 4 inch is 200 gpm.

Regards,

Henry
  • STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Capacity Vs. Flow rates

Respectfully

The question posed by the "Wiz" was in reference to pipe capacity, not flow rates.

Capacity is the cubic content or volume of a pipe, container or vessel in a static state.

The formula to find the "CAPACITY" or volume of a cylinder (pipe) is:

Diameter squared X .7854 X length = volume.

It ain't opinion, it's mathematics.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I like Pi

I still use the pi method. must have been all that geometry in school r x r x 3.14= area (r+r) x 3.14= circumference. Of course it adds the step of dividing the diameter by 2 and to be accurate you need to know the schedule of the pipe. Is it L, M, or K copper or is it schedule 40, 80, or 120 I.P.S?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.