Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you move a boiler?

Hey_Obie
Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
How do you guys get a 500-600LB boiler into a basement? 

I have wood floors in my kitchen which were just redone. So I was going to put down some plywood.

Do you use an appliance dolly to get the chunk of iron down the steps?

How many people do you need?

Do you take the outside shell off before you begin?

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    moving a boiler

Several answers here: in my younger days we used an appliance dolly with 3-4 four guys. I got older and bought an Electro Truck....a stairclimbing hand truck and could about do it alone. Then I got really older and hire someone to do it.

Seldom take off the jacket but do remove the burner door and any trim that might get hurt if banged. Plywood is OK but put a dropcloth under it as well. Generally a good dolley with clean wheel will not hurt your floor. I don't like using just a drop cloth unless rubber backed as they can be very slippery on a floor.

Good luck
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    moving a boiler

Several answers here: in my younger days we used an appliance dolly with 3-4 four guys. I got older and bought an Electro Truck....a stairclimbing hand truck and could about do it alone. Then I got really older and hire someone to do it.

Seldom take off the jacket but do remove the burner door and any trim that might get hurt if banged. Plywood is OK but put a dropcloth under it as well. Generally a good dolley with clean wheel will not hurt your floor. I don't like using just a drop cloth unless rubber backed as they can be very slippery on a floor.

Good luck
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    U-haul

You can rent one at a local U-Haul dealer ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    600 lb. boilers

600 LB. boilers are so 1970's  Stairsteppers work great or you can hire a moving company. 
This discussion has been closed.