Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Wall changes your perspective

Options
Ex Maine Doug
Ex Maine Doug Member Posts: 162
<strong><span style="color:#880000">We close on the sale of our city house next week and have been looking at rentals. What a mess.  While my wife starts around the floors to see what she could see, I head to the basement or mechanical closet.  I didn't use to do that.</span></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong><span style="color:#880000">With flashlight in hand I begin the tour of the "systems". All the bad stuff we see in the pictures and posts on the Wall comes to life. 10 to 15 foot flat run with taped together pipe for the gas DHW heater. Ductwork bent into positions that one used to dream about. Vents and returns in the unfinished basements. Stuff growing on walls. Filters that won't pull out or are crumbling. And let's not forget the ceiling fans in the empty building that had just been professionally cleaned. There is no way these could run balanced without a Hotsy steamer and bleach treatment.</span></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong><span style="color:#880000">We are not talking about slum row homes here. These were asking for $2200 and up per month. You know the type- stainless kitchen, exposed brick, hardwood floors etc..</span></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong><span style="color:#880000">The one we may be renting has central AC but more importantly has HW radiators.  Plumbed all wrong of course. Expansion tank hung between the joists and full of water.  Dribbles every time it fires and then refills.  But this can be fixed.  Pumping away, bladder tank, separate the floor into zones, bypass valve were a few things running thru my head. Wife reminds me this a rental and we may only be here 2 or 3 years.  Yes I respond, but we should always leave boiler piping better then it was when we found it.</span></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong><span style="color:#880000">I didn't used to do that but my perspective has changed.  Maybe the landlady will pay for the parts.......</span></strong> 
This discussion has been closed.