Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane direct return trap question

I just replaced an old Wiel Mclean steamer. I used a Utica JD 400 sized to match the steam sq ft. out

put of the old boiler. The system is 2 pipe, and it had a old Trane direct return trap piped into the

return. It had a "live steam" supply {3/4",fed off the end section of the old boiler, just above the

water line} . It also had a 1/2" connection that was hooked into the horizontal return {up high, near

the cieling, where the return comes across, then down to the wet return}. I was going to pipe the

direct return trap just like it was fed on the old boiler, but the live steam fitting into the top of

the trap broke off. I removed the return trap. I capped off the 1/2"return line that used to feed it

and plugged the 2" fitting on the wet return, down low. I am not certain as to the purpose and

function of this device. Best I could determine is that it creates a vacuum in the return that helps

draw the air out and make the radiators heat up quicker and more evenly.

My question is this, what effect will removing this device have ? Do I need to change the vents ? Are

the vents that are used with this type of system just regular vents, that vent air out when they are

cold and close when they get hot ?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Note; there are 2 returns

that come down from the cieling, and 2 returns that are down low, that come into a main wet return

header. The wet return header was piped {left to right} ; return from up high, check valve, return

from trane trap, check valve, and another return from up high. The main {wet} return back to the

boiler is to the left, and the check valves allow flow to the left. Thank you very much for any

insight you can give me. Alot of the stuff I work on is older than I am, and these mystery traps and

receivers I run into are  foregin to me. Some of them have sight glasses on them. Why?

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Here's their literature from the Library:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/articles/1335/319.pdf

Scroll to the last page. It's a mechanical condensate "pump." If you're able to run the system at low pressure you shouldn't need it.

Vent well the ends of the dry returns, and if you can, the ends of the mains as well since that will help balance the system. Standard (non-vacuum) vents will work well.

Hope that helps!
    Retired and loving it.
  • hvacduderick
    hvacduderick Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, Dan

Dan, Thanks for awnsering my post. I think I understand the Trane system now.

I pulled out the air vents and checked to see if I could blow thru them and suck air thru them. I could both blow and suck air thru them. I assume, that the proper vent for the Trane direct return trap, would only allow me to blow thru it {one way vent}.

So that direct return trap system hasn't been working ever since some {dead} guy changed the vents. I did not change the vents since they were clear, they were "2 way" and they didn't leak steam. The radiators got hot in like 15/20 minutes when I fired up the boiler. The homeowner said the old boiler had to run for almost an hour to heat up the radiators. The house is a two story. It looks like the trane direct return trap was only used on the up stairs radiators. Did the dead Men install the trane system on 2nd floor radiators to make them heat up quicker ? The first floor return did not have a return trap in this house. I guess thats because it dose'nt need it.  The job came out looking really sweet. I had the supply house cut and thread the 3" pipe nipples to my specs, and my measurements were dead on. Everything came together perfect. The homeowner was so happy with my work, he flipped me an extra $200 for all my attention to "detail". I told him what I was doing and why I was doing it, thru the whole job. I want to thank you for  the knowlage you have shared with all of us in the steam business. I truly enjoy trouble shooting and working with steam systems. Your books,seminars,videos,etc. have been a tremendous help to me, and you have inspired me to ask my self, "what would Dan do" ?.  When I get stumped, I walk around the building, look at the system componets, follow the pipes, open up pipes, listen to the water, listen to the air... It is starting to become intuitive now. Thats when it starts being fun.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Thanks!

You made my day. 
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.