Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best tank hot water heaters (gas)

Options
Wonky
Wonky Member Posts: 10
I need to replace my old tank hot water heater.  It's about 15 years old and wasn't maintained by the people I recently bought the house from.  I've started noticing that it doesn't heat standing water that well--it only seems to give truly hot water if you use it shortly after the water has been running.  I.e., it only seems to reliably heat "new" incoming water.

Anyway, I'm considering a System2000 for some other parts of my extensive HVAC system in this house, but that wouldn't be for probably a couple of years.  So to just replace this hot water heater now, I'm thinking it makes the most sense to get a standard tank heater.  It will simply replace the one I have now and I'll get a few years out of it before I commit the serious cash to the System 2000.

So, my questions are this: (1) Should I get a tankless, considering they cost more? (2) If I go for a gas-fired tank, what brands are best to consider.  I don't want to spend a fortune (primarily because I think I won't need this tank heater forever), but I am definitely willing to pay for quality. 

As always, thanks for your help.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    hot water heater malfunction

i wonder if the symptoms you describe are not signs of a broken dip tube. this is a tube which carries the fresh, cold water to the bottom of the tank, and prevents "short-circuiting" between the cold water supply, and the hot water discharge.

usually they are replaceable, and doing so might give you another couple of years service with the present water heater.--nbc
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Sounds like really good water...

... most storage water heaters will not last that long. Replacing a dip tube is an option, but it's perhaps beyond what most homeowners want to do... Consider looking up Larry Weingartens tips on water heater maintenance and repair.

I'd flush the tank a couple of times to see if there is a lot of sediment build up. Dip tubes can fail, usually it's due to age or the water inside the tank getting too hot (at least that's how I managed to do it when I was developing a water heater for a client).
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you're serious about installing the Sys 2000 in the near future

What about an electric water heater ? It can be easily converted to be used with the flat plate heat exchanger with the EK later on .

Of course that'd depend on your electric rates and if the tank can keep up with your demand ........... till it's converted .
  • AMH112181
    AMH112181 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    This is what I put in my house

I have had this in for 3 weeks.  The needle on my propane tank has yet to move off full.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    A Marathon maybe?

I've been looking at options too and an electric Marathon tank might work great with your new system and still be pretty economical in the short term.  That way it is not wasted money. 
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,787
    Options
    I am still not impressed....

... With the System 2000 ... Maybe it's me , steel boiler with lot's of fragile cerifelt , not the easiest to open up to clean . The control is not too impressive , Plate heat exchanger ... Quiet running.... yes they are ...

Maybe it's me

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    When you say

not the easiest to clean , are you talking about the drop down front version ?  And what doesn't impress you about the control ? I'll admit I'd like to see more of a multizone relay look to the control ( all the low volt wiring connected on the outside on those wafer boards is just too fragile imho ) .................... but what's wrong with post purge , low limit protection and built in 5 zone functionality with priority ?  
This discussion has been closed.