Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Conversion - With heat Evacuated Tube as heat source?

CFS2010
CFS2010 Member Posts: 1
               As a licensed Civil Engineer >> during the past couple of years, I have been working on a sustainable energy design project.  The design objective is to harvest energy in a steam assisted wind turbine.  

I have constructed several prototype turbines to test the application. Now I need to find a steam boiler that can be converted to supply the steam generated form an array of evacuated Tube Thermal collectors >> where the objective of the design is to generate steam at a volume and pressure that can drive the turbine when the wind speed is not effective.  

With you new network of radiant heating engineers >> I could use your contacts and radiant heating engineers to help me validate the engineering concept>> after the engineering concepts are valid >> then build a working prototype to test the assembly.

Please call to discuss

Comments

• Unknown
    edited April 2010
    Steam from Thermal Collectors.

I have no idea where you are going with this though the first thing that hits me is that you need a lot of steam volume to power a turbine so I don't know how really viable or practical this approach would be. Possibly something along the line of a sterling engine might have better possibilities than steam.  Getting the heat volume in either case would be a problem. They are doing a lot in New Zealand  in this area. Meridian Energy  one of New Zealand's largest electrical companies has several wind turbine farms and is a major shareholder of this co-generation sterling engine company.  www.whispergen.com  

- Rod
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    the turbine blades better disconnect

or that would be one big steam powered fan. Why integrate the 2 units? Steam boilers for pressure application are available from companies like Columbia boiler works.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Got your work cut out for you....

With an average of only 300 to 350 btu per square foot per hour available on the face of the Earth surface, it is going to require a WHOLE lot of square footage to produce enough steam to drive a turbine.

Then there is the distribution system and its losses.

And then what are you going to do at night?

Lofty goals for sure.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Luv'nsteam
    Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
    steam powered turbine

Look into a steam ejector.  I have no idea what kind of pressure is required to operate one, but they increase pressure a great deal (venturi maybe?).  This is the device used with steam engines to operate the Paul System vacuum that made steam heat very efficient.  Google them both.  There is a wealth of info on the net.

Mike
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    They already have solar steam systems for turbines

I will need to google it but Years ago they built a tower in California that had parabolic collectors that heated a heat Transfer liquid that then heated water to steam and powered a steam turbine, The thing is PV works more efficiently in making electrons so it faded away as a concepted.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    You don't need an old boiler

Because the evacuated tube collectors would be the boiler.  You would probably need a water tank on the inlet of the collector array.

But anyway, some scientists have concluded that a Stirling engine would work much better at the temperatures involved:

http://www.coolenergyinc.com/index.html
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
This discussion has been closed.