Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbers Opinions,,,

Options
Waterless urinals,,, what do you think?

They look quite impressive, if you put-in the blue-stuff!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    be sure to...

plumb in a water supply behind the wall so that when you get fed up w/ it that you have a backup plan. Gosh they stink.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    They installed one

in a new Giant food store. It stinks like urine all the time. I leak in the water closet because I cant stand the smell!
  • MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm not a plumber

But I do have a nose.

I was participatng in a seminar in a buidling that was in all the local papers for it's "green-ness". Lo and behold...waterless urinals!

I went to the men's room during the first break...Good Golly Miss Molly did it smell!!

Same P-ewww at lunch time. I figure maybe my fellow contractors had been partaking of the local 7-11 bean burrito breakfast special, so I get up and go during the afternoon, when no one else was in there.....Jeez-O-Petes!!

Waterless urinals=indoor outhouses.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    It is a great idea

The problem comes with who changes the little cartridges and pays for them. If maintained well they do not stink. Problem is maintenance is never done well. If it smells the cartridges need renewed. Call the manager and have them changed. I vote for the water type. at least they get flushing every third time to wash out the urine.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    I disagree Charlie

even if the seal is maintained, the urinal is still covered with a thin sheet of urine that never makes it to the seal. Some urine just wreaks, I dont know if it has to do with a medical condition or drugs or whatever but the whole concept is disgusting. New urinals take less that 2 liters per flush and that could be put on a timer every half hour if you really have a water shortage. I think if you didnt want to use water you would be better off having everyone urinate in a can of cat litter and then throw it away every night. I think there would be less odor.
  • 4 to 1 ratio,,,,

I guess thats a "strong smelling" reason to advise this customer against them! ;-)  
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Urinals

I think they are a great idea to have in your bathroom :)
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Foods

Broccoli, asparagus, and coffee can do a number. Just ask me they are some of  my favorites he he.

I often wonder about these 1.28 and 1.6 gal flush toilets, and if they increase the rate of sewer clogs in older systems....say cast iron with long runs....Like mine. Seems to me with less fluids to carry the solids long distances it may be a problem. i will let you know I put a couple in my home over the winter. 225' from the house to the street.

Gordy
  • 1.28 and 1.6 gal flush toilets

I always thought that too Gordy, in Canada I have yet to find a good "flusher".

Seems my government mandated this requirement before any reputable pottery companies came-up with a proper design,,, and their still trying.

Oh well,,, it keeps the city employees busy flushing the old street mains with water,,, those old-ones(toilets) you could almost flush if they were full of concrete!  ;-) 
  • Gordy
    Options
    Dave

The kohler memoirs I bought flush well enough 5 star rated flush. If you hold the handle down for the big duties it adds a little extra omph.....I usually have to use that option:-). But what happens on the way to the main may be a different story.
  • You`re even more lucky,,,,

Whats a US gallon,,, something like 3.8 liters?

Remember,, up here we have the metric system,,, some tryouts are 1.5 liters per flush, or others are 3, or 3.5LPF,,,,,, have to check the codebook(as I look at-it so often!)  ;-)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    island methods of conservation

in the British Virgin Islands, a sign in the beach bar toilet says

"if it's yellow, let it mellow;

if it's brown, flush it down"--nbc
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I though my disclaimer spoke but guess I need to clarify

I am against them as I KNOW they never get maintained. The idea works nice in a lab or where everyone drinks 12 glasses of water and none of the afore mentioned foods or drinks. In the real world use water to flush.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Gordy
    Options
    Sorry

I did not mean to drift....i think most of us agree with you, or disagree with certain conservation methods.

Gordy
  • Ex Maine Doug
    Ex Maine Doug Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Waterless??

Hmmmm.  If they are waterless, why is it still a problem to keep my shoes dry?
This discussion has been closed.