Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How many loops on a manifold??

Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
As I start my retro-fit of my house I have the 2nd. floor tubing and transfer plates in. Insulation tomorrow.

My question is when I do my 1st. floor. I will have 12 loops and would like to know is there a maximum # of loops that can realistically be on one manifold?

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    That Is Dependent

On head loss and whose manifold. For instant a Wirsbo TrueFlow Manifold can handle up to 12 loop configurations.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Kungur
    Kungur Member Posts: 49
    These are the ones

I was thinking of using Everhot (part# SSM010) or a Wirsbo TruFlow Jr.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    It is limited by....

The size of the manifold, AND the size of the supply/return lines serving the manifold, which ever is lesser.

For example, if you are using a 1-1/4" bodied manifold, but are only supplying it with a 3/4" S&R, then your max flow is limited by the S&R lines. If 3/4" can carry 4 GPM, and each branch circuit can carry 1/2 GPM, then the 3/4" lines dictate not more than 8 ports.

So, as with ALL hydronic questions, the only correct answer is, it depends....

Have you done a heat loss calc yet? That is what REALLY drives the S&R line size for the area being served. Manifold sizing is secondary to that.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    it's about flow

not about loops. if you don't know your flow then you're guessing.

I've done 16+ loop manifolds. but I design low flow systems, so my feeds and the manifold body can take that, no problem.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.