Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler sales by efficiency

GordoG
GordoG Member Posts: 15
When someone replaces their boiler, what percentage of people purchase a mod/con high efficiency boiler? Just curious.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    100%

I don't offer anything but high efficiency, but I am obviously not the norm...

High efficiency is the BOTTOM if my offering. It just goes up from there.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    A bit Vague...

This is a bit of a vague question - how good or knowledgeable was the sales person? Was a Mod-Con even offered for the re & re?

Here's a question for you - out of all the re & re's, how many people doing sell a heat loss to a person as a reason to ascertain if their soon to be gone boiler is way too big and can be downsized to reduce short cycling, and if they can get by with a smaller boiler, then they give them options from conventional to mod-con

Also consider that there is more to re & re then slapping a Mod-con on the wall in place of a conventional boiler. There are also venting considerations as well which may require opening up walls to accomodate., and this obviously will affect someones interest potentially pricewise.
    Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Only Mod Cons

I'm an energy nut. Let the other companies fight over the people treating heating contractors like Price Club. I specialize in the high end, and thus distinguish myself from the others. I also don't like carrying big cast iron beasties. :)   WW
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Mod/Con Sales

Gordo this was the first year for me in the 20 plus years I've been in the industry on the wholesale side that I sold more high efficiency boilers vs traditional boilers. More 3-pass oil than tradiational pin style and 3 times more mod/cons then traditional gas boilers.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    About 70/30

Try to sell TT when possible but work in a city with many hard working struggling families that just dont have the money. I can still remove and install a cast iron boiler       ( and do it right). Never been afraid of a little hard work and its gratifying to help. I have always been a better mechanic than a salesman. I dont talk down to people or refuse doing their job because they cant afford a Cadillac boiler.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Elitism

Gosh Tony, You've colored me an elitist. I want to assure you that I don't look down at hard working blue color folks. I'm pretty sure I am one. I just prefer to serve people that can afford to make a smart choice. There are plenty of other contractors  to wrangle over the lowest price and fill that role. I prefer to make a profit for my time, and am blessed with enough work and am a small enough shop, that I can pick a niche and choose the higher technical role that other contractors are afraid of.  Also Washington DC is not like other cities as far as economy.  It's base of Government workers have been a steadying force on the local economy.  
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    While I always offer the Vitodens......

.... I have installed Crown boilers with tankless coils.  When there is gas available, maybe half will choose the Vitodens when the application calls for it.  My fav all around boiler is the Vitola with either the gas or oil burner.  Fits just about every application I see.
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • No more boat anchors.

I stopped offering the low-efficiency option (non-condensing boilers) to my customers last March if they can't afford one of the 7 or 8 (95% AFUE) high end, high efficiency boilers available, they get a Munchkin to get them in the game.

It is only high efficiency condensing boilers for me and mine.

I still work on CI but nearly always upgrade controls to outdoor reset. Even if combustion efficiency is still low, system efficiency improves (last one was nearly 50 years old and lowered the fuel bill 30%.
This discussion has been closed.