Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning sections on caked on silt.

Options
Parker
Parker Member Posts: 1
I have a 100 hear old apartment  dbuilding with a HBsmith 525 kbtu boiler. This winter one section cracked and when they took it abart there was a very hard caked on sediment blocking the bottom of the sections. The repair guy says that one of my returns must be sucking in dirt. Anyway can these sections be cleaned as this stuff is hard as rock. I was thinking high pressure water cleaning, or is there a solvent i can use. i am also thinking if they cannot be cleaned of replacing with 2 - 250kbtu Weil mcclain units.

any thoughts

Russ

Russ

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    sediment removal

you might just replace all the sections, and you will have a 60% new boiler. most important, if you replace the whole boiler, double check that the original was sized properly to begin with [details in "the lost art of steam heating" from the store.--nbc
  • Chrisplumbs
    Chrisplumbs Member Posts: 10
    Options

you should replace the returns...using a chemical cleaner is just going to loosen more dirt and your problem will never end! Also ...i doubt you will ever get the boiler unclogged to the point of where it can actually work even half way efficiently again....sounds like you're due for a major overhaul.
  • Chrisplumbs
    Chrisplumbs Member Posts: 10
    Options

you should replace the returns...using a chemical cleaner is just going to loosen more dirt and your problem will never end! Also ...i doubt you will ever get the boiler unclogged to the point of where it can actually work even half way efficiently again....sounds like you're due for a major overhaul.
This discussion has been closed.