Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Milwaukee Selfeed wood bits,,

Options
do any of you people sharpen your-own, or do you send them out?

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Sharp

Dave, I used Milwaukee and Planetor bits and touched them up with a three corner file every time I used them. The planetor bits came in a case that included a file and the large Mil. bits came with a disc so you would get the teeth all the same length when you filed them.
    bob
  • Same here bob,

although I never tried Planetor,,, but I do have the Milwaukee disc.

Thanks.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Damm ....

..... nails :) I sharpen my own ... Would be nice to send them out but if you need it then you sharpen them your self ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    when they get

real dull or badly chipped I use an air die grinder with a very thin wheel. You need to keep the "chip lifter" part a bit lower than the edge "spurs" Or it gets really hard to feed. Also replace the feed screw when they get dull, from winding a nail around them for example.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Love'em

About ten years ago I couldn't find my 2 9/16" so i picked up another.  Of course I found the old one that same day but, this lent opportunity to send out the old for a professional sharpening.  Been doing it that way ever since.  Depending on work load, I bring my bits to a guy in town once or twice a year; touching them with a file in-between.  Even went as far as getting a duplicate of all the most used sizes.

Doesn't cost much, in fact it probably saves time on the job......nothing like a razor sharp bit.....mmmm butter. 
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Unknown
    edited March 2010
    Options
    nothing like a razor sharp bit

How very true Eric.

PS- Ever caught your "thumb-palm" between chuck & the key when changing bits? YEOWWWW,,

Gotta find my gloves,,, :-0.

• eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Options
    bit sharpening

I always sharpened my own, I tried the professionals and they were either sharpened incorrectly or ground down excessively and 1/2 the cost of a new bit.

My preference however would be to save up 3 -4 bits and have them professionally done all at one time.  
This discussion has been closed.