Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating and no hot water

Options
urnotamrb
urnotamrb Member Posts: 2
I have an Columbia boiler that could be about 10 yrs old. We have only be here 4ys. And sense them to now the hot water has been getting colder and colder. At this time no hot water. Them on the boiler is at 180 and heats and shuts off and norm.   My question, I want to by pass the boiler for hot water and install a hot water heater.. I don't have the 5000$ to replace the boiler.  Any help.. Thank You

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Before you install a separate hot water heater, ...

... you might want to get a professional in there to find out why you do not get enough hot water. Scale on the domestic water heating coil? Failed aquastat? Something else? I am assuming the boiler works well enough to heat your house; is that right?
  • urnotamrb
    urnotamrb Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Heating and no hot water

Yes the boiler heats the house. I was told that the heating coils maybe clogged. The bolts were broken before to have it looked at.  I was told that the boiler needed to be replaced, but the money we do not have now. There had always been hot water up till this year, but the psi on the hot water side was very poor. And seemed no matter what we did..  didn't matter...  So I thought to by pass the boiler for hot water.. { I hope} and install a hot water heater....

Stan
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Bounce the Coil

A hot water coil is a heat exchanger . Minerals come out of your domestic water when heated and coats the coil and acts like an insulation for heat transfer ...

To bounce a coil run the hot water only wide open in the bath tub ... On the cold side of the coil there should be a shut off valve ... Slam it shut , open , shut , open and continue until you start hearing the shock ... You would need to find the right rhythm ... The shock will shake the minerals loose....

I am not a big fan using a coil for hot water ... But low on bucks , which I understand ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.