Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Add-On

GrassHopper
GrassHopper Member Posts: 4
Hey there everyone,

Currently thinking about intergrating a couple of solar panels into my home system.  Looking for suggestions and comments. 

The existing system is a hot water baseboard system with a Kerr-Saturn boiler (oil fired).  Just thinking about using the solar for DHW only.

Thanks a bunch,

Kevin

Comments

• Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Summertime Stagnation?

Looks like a great schematic.   Just remember to size the solar expansion tank properly.

If you go on a two week vacation in the middle of summer, all the fluid in the collector may flash to steam.  The expansion tank needs to be big enough to handle that volume without blowing the relief valve.   The pressure relief valve may have to be about 75 psi.
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Nice diagram

What program did you use?  That is a really nice looking drawing.
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • GrassHopper
    GrassHopper Member Posts: 4
    Drawing

I am a draftsman and drew my drawing up in AutoCAD.  Thanks for the replies and compliments.

Kev
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Nice drawing, but....

It won't work as drawn.

You have the hydronic side connected to the potable side.

1. The DHW preheat should have an anti scald tempering valve on the preheated supply to the boiler coil for DHW.

2. The tanks return line and pump should be taken back to the boiler return.

3. You could reduce your energy consumption by 30% minimum by converting to a modcon boiler and another fuel other than oil.

I am a strong believer in insulating before you insolate...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.