Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heated walkway

HDtechNH
HDtechNH Member Posts: 1
I am thinking of installing a heated walkway.  Wondering what the best materials for the job are? I live in NH and would expect it to melt our fairly heavy snowfalls. It would be approx a 70' long walk. I presume I would use 1/2" pex. Six or twelve inches on center? Also two inch foam board under the walk.  Would brick be feasible or would concrete be best? I plan to heat this with an unused zone on my Central Boiler outdoor wood boiler. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance for your time.

Tim

Comments

• mor
    mor Member Posts: 42
    drainage

Suggest, plan where the water should drain to.
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    Heat exchanger & glycol

Are you planning to use a heat exchanger, mixing valve and glycol in the snow melt system?  Most likely you will not want the 180* water in the snow melt system.  There will be quite a shock bringing cold water back to the Central Boiler.  the snow melt loop should have glycol in the system and use a mixing valve to maintain a lower snow melt temperature in the tubing 

Use the extra circuit to pipe to a heat exchanger sized fro the snow melt load.  This will be quite large.  Use a seperate pump, mixing valve, expansion tank, and glycol connected to the snow melt system.

Minnesota Wayne
This discussion has been closed.