Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noisy vents

chllngr73
chllngr73 Member Posts: 11
what makes your vents noisey? two of mine sound like there is an animal behind the convector cover scratching at the convector. one of the rooms is where my new baby is gonna sleep and i need this fixed. please help.

tom

Comments

• Noisey Vents

How high is the pressure on your system?   Can you tell if it's the vent or the vent air hitting the convector making the noise?

- Rod
  • chllngr73
    edited March 2010
    vent

cut in on pressurtrol is at .5 and the plastic dial inside the box is at around 1 or a little under. i have seen my 0-30 psi gauge get to just about 3psi

it sounds like to me the bronze bell inside the vent is trying to close but something is pushing it the other way(really fast) but then it will finally close but im pretty sure thats not ok. i never really sat there with the convector cover off to watch it though.

i really dont think this system is right. i blew through 150 gallons of oil in one month and thats with the thermostat at 68* from 3:30 pm till 10:30 pm and 60* all other times.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Have you checked...

...that the radiators are pitched towards the valve, and that the valves are completely open?
  • chllngr73
    pitch

they are all pitched toward the inlet and only one radiator has a valve. the rest are covectors with no shutoff valves. the only radiator in the house whistles like a tea pot for a few seconds then snaps shut.

tom
This discussion has been closed.