Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant drying rack?

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I am thinking about a radiant drying rack for quilts and knitted stuff for my wife. I was thinking about just 3/4 copper, but i am thinking it would need to be piped back & forth to whatever size, not just 2 manifolds with pipes connecting them. Any thoughts on this? Still just an idea, but would like to build it soon. Will likely just tee off a copper supply / return and be able to isolate it when not used. Would be nice to quick connect / disconnect / drain with shark-bite.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Some inspiration.

I might have seen it in the EDR book or somewhere else, but a similar concept has been done for kitchen cabinets to keep food warm. I forget exactly what it was called.
  • Timco
    food warming

I use this to warm the food. Works great and was a pleasure to restore. It is still on life-support in this picture, sealing leaks in the sections prior to hook-up. I am thinking about something that would accommodate an antique quilt or a knitted sweater. Cheap, 3/4" copper...

Tim
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752

Have you looked at the designs for some simple towel warmers? Then you could pipe it in with a zone valve and wall switch or aquastat to turn it on.
  • Timco
    Towel rack

Are these just 2 manifolds and pipes across, or does the water follow one path all the way back? I was thinking a stat that would interface with my tN-4 system and tell it the emitter needs 180*. Maybe pex strapped to plywood?

Tim
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Thinking the same

hello Tim i have also been tinker with the same idea and have it thought out but have not had the time (or money) to start making it ,i am modeling mine after a folding dryer rack .i am using 3/4 in copper(mbt)and bending it like a double z on both sides and drill run 1/2 between each 3/4 side on the bottom a 1/2 line from each side will tie into a oventroupe by pass type H valve with a trv mouned after the  so the by pass an operate .mine will serve 2 purposes drying lothes my wife hangs and heating a area hope this helps peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.