Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do you think?

heatboy
heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
I haven't seen anything else like this.  It's a Watts air separator w/ flanges.  Great idea!  You can see the video at the Watts website. 

<a href="http://www.watts.com/mediaCenter/default.asp?videoId=37">http://www.watts.com/mediaCenter/default.asp?videoId=37</a>
heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I think....

Watts is lucky to have Jim Earhardt in their employ.

More Earhardt innovation! Nothing better than having an experienced contractor at the helm.

Thanks for sharing Jeff.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    I dig it.

Every part should come with a flanged option.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Watts

Perfect for pumping away,
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Always Nice

Always nice to have soft spots along the system for repairs ... Extra external bracing would be needed down stream which should be added either way
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    pop the top

seems like a neat idea, but

for replacement, why can't one unscrew the top with a wrench, replace the internal medium part and screw the top back on.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    edited March 2010
    Seviceability

It comes apart for service, Devan.  The top comes off to replace the float and the top part of the body comes off to clean/replace the media, which is different than the others on the market.  The top has a manual vent (red) that is normally screwed down tight and also has the normal vent (black) that stays open two turns.  One of the things I like is that fact that both caps can be closed while doing initial purge.  We all know that if the fill mechanism is attached to the bottom, the vent is pressurized and will leak during initial purge if not closed off in some manner.. 
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I like it

I have had issues with leaks I had to go and repair from others installs of the air separators. They seem to over tighten the threaded fittings and stretch the threads. Harder for them to do to the isolation flanges as the brass is twice as thick.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Over-Under,,,,

Sheesh,,, maybe you were just lucky Charlie? ;-)
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    isolation

really cool to be able to isolate the air sep for cleaning the brush, and cleaning the head. What type if air removal devise does it use? I tried taco's newer design with the ss rings in it, but not much more air was removed than the 'not so' supervent from honeywell. I can hear air cruise by with both, and I can't help but wonder why buy an air removal devise if it does not remove air rushing by???

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I have Taco's highest price air separator.

I have their residential-size 4900 series air separator with the stainless steel pawl rings in it. It seems to work very well, but it took a long time to get all the air out of my new system; i.e, 4 to 6 months. I figured it was because the water through the system never gets above 135F, so the dissolved air only coalesces out very slowly compared to what it would do at 180F. I could tell there was air in there from the sound of the circulator to the upstairs zone. And my contractor put no air-bleed valves in upstairs because he said fin-tube baseboard did not require any. (I am not sure I believe this.) They did purge the system well, but that was at room temperature. Whenever the heat went up, more air came out of solution.

My guess is that the dissolved air came out of solution at the lowest pressure part of the system, which is the intake of the circulator to upstairs (right after the separator with the expansion take coming out of the bottom of it. I heard no noise except from the upstairs circulator; no gurgling in the pipes or anything. But by some time in February, it has all quited down.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    bleeders

they make bleeder 90's for this...a 90* elbow with a bleeder port, bras or copper.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Yeah.

But who likes to crawl around bleeding radiators? Buy a good air separator, save on medical bills for bad back and knees.
This discussion has been closed.