Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cutting copper tubing with shears

shawn laverty
shawn laverty Member Posts: 42
Does anybody know if there are shears that can cut copper pipe quickly. 

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Milwaukee

makes a 12 volt tube cutter. I have been using one for over a year now. It is one of the best innovations in copper in a long time. Love it.
  • Thanks for the tip TonyS,,

I didn`t know such a tool exists,,, ordered-one today! :-)
  • TonyS
    Dave... just watch

when you cut overhead pipes filled with water. You can flood the electronics. I did this once and it took a day for it to dry out. I had to pipe the boiler in with a hand cutter... it was horrible  LOL
  • Nice tool

But the movie clip on Youtube pits the tool against a minicutter.  Minicutters are slow; why not put it up (legitimately) against a regular tubing cutter?  Kind of lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvIHQxqJBC4
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • TonyS
    Your right

that is a lame video. I have found that it is important to keep the unit lubricated with wd 40 or equivalent. Dont bother trying to use it on egged soft tubing and it takes a little getting used to as any tool. It cuts tubing as close as 1 inch from a wall. I had a job to replace a bunch of old copper fin with new, it paid for itself with one job. It cuts from 3/8 to 1 inch tube.  
  • What the hey Alan,,,

I spend more than this tool cost on cigarettes per month,,,,

The Milwaukee video looks impressive, and TonyS speaks highly of-it,,, so I`ll give-one a try.

PS- I worked for a guy once who would try NOTHING new,,, we worked with the "Flintstones" tools,,, didn`t even believe in a 300 power-drive, everything by hand!

Lost many a job because he wouldn`t try something different. :-)
  • Got mine today TonyS,,,,

Seems quite impressive after screwing around with-it!

I`ll be careful of the "water problem" you had,

Thanks ;-)
  • TonyS
    Dave

they work great for cutting up your scrap copper into number 1 and 2 for the junk yard. Its alot easier to make those cuts on the little pieces you would have normally thrown in the #2 pile. Take care 
This discussion has been closed.