Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water heater flame problem

gfoag
gfoag Member Posts: 1
Ive been having trouble with a GE model water heater blowing out on main flame.  The thermal couple and pilot assemble i have replaced previously.  I cleaned the filter on the bottom of the water heater thoroughly and still i cant get a steady flame.   the only way the flame will stay rich enough to burn is if i take the front plate off where the burner assembly slide into.  any advice please help ..... p.s its a basement apartment 

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Sounds like its starving for air...

and that is not a good thing.

The FVIR water heaters I have seen have an extremely tight screen that is a part of the FVIR system, and if you have a lint leak from a dryer hose in the vicinity, it could be clogging those pores, thereby starving the burner for air.

High concentrations of CO in the flue gas stream would confirm that.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    when in doubt

Call the manufacture. They may have a known problem and have a resolution.

It sounds like the water heater has been installed for a while but, I would confirm that the venting is correct and drafting, as well as sufficient make up air in the room. Sometimes its the little things that are overlooked.

Which model is the Water heater?
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Flame arrester

You need to blow out the flame arrester with compressed air. Blow from the top down after you remove the burner.
This discussion has been closed.