Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Add outdoor reset to Munchkin 140M

ErikV
ErikV Member Posts: 34
2200 sq ft residence, converted gravity with cast iron radiators plus second RFH zone, Munchkin 140M mod/con, about 4.5 years old with 925 control panel and no Vision (outdoor reset) control.

This winter I have learned a lot about the boiler, done some needed service thanks to this forum  (call in a pro for dialing in the combustion), been adjusting the setpoint manually and steady condensing is working great.

Called Munchkin for the Vision 1 Kit part number for my boiler. Not sure what the policy here is on posting prices so I won't for now. It is a retrofit kit, Vision control is now standard on all their mod-cons. I looked closely at the installation manual. The kit consists of an outdoor sensor and its 2 wires, an indirect tank sensor and its its several wires (including for the pump on the indirect), and one wire to serve as hot for an optional remote failure indicator. I have no indirect so all I really need is the outdoor sensor and its 2 wires. That sensor alone can be had for one third the cost of the kit.

1. Do I need to be talked out of installing the reset myself? Right now I see no reason not to.

2. Am I OK buying only the sensor and carefully attaching it with the recommended AWG18?

I would like to source proper connector ends for the 2 wires at the Molex plug, ideas? E.g. I can buy wires made to fit a different hole in the plug for $6 each, and will do it if that is recommended, but seems excessive for basically connector. Need a junked Munchkin boiler for its wire ends ...

Any comments would be welcome.

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    ODS

I would install the outdoor sensor.

And yes use the proper wires and connectors.

If you don't have proper contact then the boiler won't run at the proper temp.
  • ErikV
    sensor on the way

Thanks much for the reply.

I went ahead and ordered the sensor, and some wires to make sure I have the proper terminals. Will post back how it goes. Because I know you are all dying to hear about it :) .
  • Steve Whitbeck
    ODS.

Yes install the ODS

But more important is there a sediment strainer in the intake line to the boiler?
  • ErikV
    no sediment strainer

hmmm no that was not installed and is not among the many small repairs I have done. I'll have to do some reading, I don't know what that is.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    edited March 2010
    a wye strainer may work but I would prefer this

Caleffi makes this one others have similar. Go to page 7 http://www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Files/giudes/files/ProductGuideNA2008.pdf
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Strainer

You must have a strainer before the boiler - The dirt from your old system will eventually plug up the heat exchanger and distroy your new boiler.

New copper or Pex systems dont have to have a strainer.
  • ErikV
    where would you put a strainer?

That cartridge strainer looks pretty nice. Presumably they work as well as advertised?

After 4.5 yers, is it better late then never for installing a strainer and trying to save the heat xer? Can i clean out any sludge/sediment this summer by flushing it manualy?

OK, here are some pics of the relevant newer piping:

pic 1:  Cold return pipe in the back, the refill also hooks into this out of the pic to the right. The last joining return from the rads is by the yellow "R." You can see 2 Grundfos, one for rads one for RFH loop (the foamed pipes), pumping away, and a 3rd pump at the boiler.

pic 2: back left of the upper piping, this a good location for a strainer (Str)?

pic 3: looking up at that location, from where the boiler says "Munchkin.".
  • Steve Whitbeck
    strainer

just raise the ball valve and put it above the boiler pump.

I would try to back flush the boiler this summer.

Anytime you have an old cast rad / iron pipe system you MUST have a strainer.
  • ErikV
    Strainer must be horizontal?

If I put a strainer above the boiler pump, it would not be horizontal.  All of the strainers I have seen, fancy type or wye type, the sediment collects at the bottom by gravity. That won't happen if the strainer is on the vertical pipe near the boiler.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    strainer

Y strainer can be mounted vertical. Just put a drain valve on the strainer discharge so you can blow it down yearly.
  • ErikV
    ODR installed now

I bought just the sensor from a supply house(KSCDirect in Omaha), bought the proper connector ends from www.mouser.com, installed as per the Munchkin manual and it has been working just fine, supply temp changes as outdoor temp changes.
This discussion has been closed.